Monday, May 10, 2010

Sharpie Free


Journal Entry from 1/7/2010


"Today as I put our first load of groceries away in my mostly empty but very clean fridge I had the most glorious thought. It was simple and maybe even silly but it suddenly made the intimidation of married life lower it's head.


My thought: Everything in this fridge is mine. There is no need for a sharpie marker in hand to scribble initials and threats of Do Not Eat on all my items. I do not have to shove my fresh food amongst the unfamiliar, old, and even rotting food of strangers. I can sleep with the knowledge that everything in my fridge is there because I put it there.


Such a small enjoyment of marriage, but so very appreciated. If everyday feels as good as being sharpie free, I could get used to this married thing."

5 Months Later.
Jon has taken the form of a small child with his declarations of, "when I grow up I'm going to be a _______" Most any occupation can be added there due to his ever changing mind. Some days Jon is a man dressed in Khaki surrounded by wild animals fulfilling the role of Zookeeper. While other days he is a mysterious badge hiding FBI agent. He certainly has explored the avenues and alleyways of Careers but has settled on the street of Business Law. He is going to attend the Marriott Business School in Accounting and then move on to Law School. His latest goal involves a certain sign on a certain little brown building that will read "Edwards and Earl Inc."

While Jon is exploring our future I'm providing for our present. My life kind of looks like this

1 Full Time Job + 1 Part Time Job= 52 Hours a week.

I've always hated math.

Althought I will say it sure is nice to have my life be in addition rather than subtraction. Our first two months of marriage consisted of no job offers, no income, and a lot of minus signs. Sometimes I suppose Math can be good.

Our newest adventure consists of old blue carpet, lace doily curtains, and an old woman smell. Sounds pretty undesirable right? However we are thrilled by this combination because it comes in the form of a new condo for us!
Jon and I decided to take advantage of the $8,000 tax credit, my cousin Justin's new realty license, and our 6 years worth of future in Provo and bought a condo. It was extremely spontaneous and not like either of us to be so decisive and forward. But it really felt right for us and my amazing father supported us. We were able to get a great deal and ended up with a mortgage payment that was less than our current rent.

We are currently working on getting some paint on the bare walls, and pulling up the smell embedded carpet. My life has been one big episode of Trading Spaces lately. We will move into the newly polished place next week.
(Stay Tuned for the Before and After Pictures.)

So that's what you've missed on Jon and Kel....
Many days sharpie free and wonderful.
5 Months Later I'm certainly getting used to this married thing.




4 comments:

  1. Color on the walls and old woman smell replaced with paint chemicals...check! This smell we both know all too well, and since you're so good at painting now, you could always create those nonexistent before and after pictures on PC paint...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha actually Michelle I would love to have you help me with painting those before and after pictures as well. I know how much you love it. I bet you are just itching for me to call for another night of getting pretty close to high and holding paint cans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kelsey, Michelle showed me your blog and I LOVE it. I hope you don't mind my reading it. On the Edwards and Earl thing....do you think anyone else will think it should be Earl and Edwards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Shelly! Of course I don't mind you reading my blog! I miss you and I love you. As far the sign thing...Earl and Edwards might go over better. Good call with that.

    ReplyDelete